Mixed media 25 Feb 2018

Angela Porter mixed media 25Feb2018

I’ve been hard at work on my ‘A Dangle A Day’ book and felt I needed a break from the computer screen.  As much as I love working digitally, I believe it does the soul good to work in different ways from time to time.  A change is as good as a rest, it is said, and also a change can get the creative juices flowing!

A trip to Hobbycraft in Newport, Gwent, yesterday had me buying some A4 Daler-Rowney Mixed Media boards.

These are 1.4mm thick and sturdy board forms of their mixed media paper.  The board did warp when I added tissue paper with matt medium, and it’s still a little wobbly today.

The pictures shows how far I’ve got for now.  I’m letting the little drops of copper and golden glitter dry as I take a break from it to decide if I need to do any more to it.

The image I drew and then coloured using Distress Inks.

I’ve enjoyed getting a little inky, painty and messy for a change.

Mixed media index cards – 3 June 2016


Two more index card done!

I drew the fungi then coloured them with the Chameleon Color Tones and Color Tops pens.  Cogs have appeared in the background once again – gotta have a lil bit of steampunkishness!

I’ve used 3D Crystal Lacquer on the fungi caps and on the stars in the background.

I’m liking the slightly bigger format of the index cards compared to ATCs.

Yesterday’s Mixed Media Index Cards – update


I spent some time yesterday and this morning adding some details to drawing on each of the index cards.

I added stippling and lines to add shading on the focal points, both in black and white.

I also added some ground for them so they weren’t floating in air; the grasses or plants in the background I wanted as black silhouettes just so interest/texture/pattern was added.

Finally, I added either white dots or black ‘popping bubbles’ to the ‘sky’ for more visual interest.

I’m now much happier with them and feel that they are complete.

Stay Strong – Mixed Media


More Foamiran flowers, this time rather more stylised or abstract.  Background is texture paste mixed with distress ink and some pearlescent paint from Liquitex and stenciled over a distress ink background.  Papers coloured with distress inks or distress oxide inks.

Embossed paper and ACEO card are coloured with various acrylic paints from Pebeo and Liquitex.  They’ve been used to create a collaged pattern behind the previously made ACEO/ATC paint.

Liquid pearls have been added in places, and gems in the flower centres.

I die-cut the leaves from Centaura pearl paper and coloured them with Copic markers; the sheen they have is subtle and fits in nicely with the more pastel colours used.

Fantasy fungus mixed media


This one is mostly finished. I need to add shadows around the elements and some shiny patterns to the layers I think.  Oh, and the hole in the tag needs something added.

The fungus I drew and coloured myself.  That was enjoyable to do!  In fact, the whole thing has been satisfying.

Live gently upon this Earth – Mixed media artwork


I’ve had a bit of a week with appointments and then yesterday was a day where I needed some self-care.  I did, however, begin work on this particular piece, and I’ve gone crazy on making ATC sized backgrounds ready for work on them, particularly using the Dylusions paints which have laid dormant in my stash for a long, long time.

This particular mixed media pieces has a colour scheme that is not typically ‘Angela’.  There’s lots of god in it, and the flowers look more like succulents than flowers, bu tthey do kind of work!

The close-up image shows the ATC that’s become the focal point of the piece, along with the metal charms and keys that have been added.

Butterflies and flowers – mixed media


A second done today!  A4 in size, just as ‘Hope – flowerpunked’ is.

I’ve just realised I’ve not done the shadows around various elements, but that’ll have to wait as the drops on the petals are drying.

It’s deuced hard to photograph these well; the butterflies shimmer with different iridescent colours, as do the flowers .  The leaves have a kind of verdigrised bronze look to them. The background is very matte in contrast to the shimmer of the elements affixed to it.  There’s also some vintage paper behind the elements – from a very old science book!  Well I am a scientist as well as an artist.

I’m going to have to find something to do with all these mixed media pieces as storing them is going to be difficult as the latest ones have a lot of ‘dimension’ to them.  On this one both the butterfly wings and the flower centres are raised up somewhat.

I also have to decided if I’mg oing to continue having acrylic nails and nice gel nail finishes as all this mixed media work has just about wrecked them!  I thought that was nigh on impossible, but perhaps not!