Dot Mandala Cards, Butterflies and Fungi

Digital drawings

ButterfliesForMixedMedia_15June2017_AngelaPorter

FungiForMixedMedia_15June2017_AngelaPorter

Over the past couple of days I’ve continued working on my Microsoft Surface Book using Autodesk Sketchbook Pro to create digital images for used in card making and mixed media projects.  IFungi and butterflies have been my chosen subjects, and you can see some of them in the images above.  They’ve also been digitally coloured, though I’ve still got dots and lines to add to them to give more depth and dimension to them.

They’re all now cut out and sitting waiting to be used in various projects.  There’s still more drawings carefully filed away on the Surface Book for future uses…

Dot Mandala Cards

DotMandalaCards2_15June2017_AngelaPorter

DotMandalaCards_15June2017_AngelaPorter

I’ve also have a bit of fun creating some teeny-tiny dot mandalas.  Each card base is just 3″ x 3″ (approx. 7.5cm x 7.5cm).  The black card I used as the substrate is 2½” square (approx. 6.25cm).

The acrylic paints I used are either metallic or pearlescent, so they do catch the light rather nicely.

Drawing on the surface

 

Pastel fungi2

Over the past few days, I’ve been spending a lot of time exploring Autodesk Sketchbook Pro on my Microsoft Surface Book.

I’ve been playing with colouring things, mostly in a very ‘flat’, almost marker-like kind of way, but also trying out different digital mediums and textures.

In the last hour or two, I thought I’d give drawing with pencil and pastel a go, something I’ve not been happy working with in the digital environment.  This is partly due, I think, to me not being familiar with working with the Surface Pen and becoming comfortable with drawing where I don’t rest my hand on the substrate I’m working on.  It’s only through working and working with the Surface and Surface Pen have I achieved this, and unconsciously so.  Perseverance really does pay off.

This is my first drawing with pencil and pastel on the Surface … and I’m quite happy with it.  It’s certainly something I’m going to work at a lot more.

Mixed media index cards – 5 June 2017; my own library of digital drawings

AngelaPorter_5June2017_MixedMediaIndexCard1

Mixed media index cards

Two index cards worked on over the last day or two.  The focal points are shells I drew, first on paper, then the image was worked on on my Surface book with Autodesk Sketchbook Pro and my Surface Pen,

I had to use scissors to cut out the shells (not my favourite task as I’m not good with scissors) after I’d coloured them using the Chameleon Color Tones and Color Tops marker pens.  I’m really pleased with the colouring.

Lots of different techniques/media were used on the index cards – stamping, stenciling, inktense pencils, distress inks and distress oxide inks, pebeo dyna paints, perfect pearls sprays, gesso, clear holographic embossing powder from WOW!

I’m happy with them, though I’m not sure they’re quite finished, especially the little one.

Digital drawing library

I’m beginning to build up a library of my own digital drawings – fungi, flowers, shells at the moment, oh and one angler fish skeleton that I’ve not used yet (but that’s an idea for later or tomorrow maybe).

I have to decide if I put these images together as packs of ‘digi-stamps’ for sale…I’m really pleased with my shells here, but the fungi have worked out fine too.  With my limited scissor skills, I’m keeping it in mind I need to keep the outlines relatively simple, but the inside of the design can be rather detailed, which is fun.

Mixed media index cards – 3 June 2016

AngelaPorter_3June2017_MixedMediaIndexCard1

Two more index card done!

I drew the fungi then coloured them with the Chameleon Color Tones and Color Tops pens.  Cogs have appeared in the background once again – gotta have a lil bit of steampunkishness!

I’ve used 3D Crystal Lacquer on the fungi caps and on the stars in the background.

I’m liking the slightly bigger format of the index cards compared to ATCs.

Yesterday’s Mixed Media Index Cards – update

AngelaPorter_1June2017_MixedMediaIndexCard4

I spent some time yesterday and this morning adding some details to drawing on each of the index cards.

I added stippling and lines to add shading on the focal points, both in black and white.

I also added some ground for them so they weren’t floating in air; the grasses or plants in the background I wanted as black silhouettes just so interest/texture/pattern was added.

Finally, I added either white dots or black ‘popping bubbles’ to the ‘sky’ for more visual interest.

I’m now much happier with them and feel that they are complete.

More mushrooms!

Just like hobbits, I believe there’s only one thing better than mushrooms and that is MORE mushrooms!

In my case that means more needle felted mushrooms.

needlefelted-mushrooms-by-angela-porter-2017

So, I’ve learned a fair amount about needle felting in making these mushrooms and I look forward to creating more items as time allows.  I suspect my own whimsical, doodly drawings will be a source of much inspiration.

It is, however, much quicker to draw and colour things than to needle felt them.

The large mushroom took around 10 hours to finish.  The smaller ones have taken between 4 and 6 hours to create.

Now, all I have to do is to decide what to do with them!