Yesterday’s Mixed Media Index Cards – update


I spent some time yesterday and this morning adding some details to drawing on each of the index cards.

I added stippling and lines to add shading on the focal points, both in black and white.

I also added some ground for them so they weren’t floating in air; the grasses or plants in the background I wanted as black silhouettes just so interest/texture/pattern was added.

Finally, I added either white dots or black ‘popping bubbles’ to the ‘sky’ for more visual interest.

I’m now much happier with them and feel that they are complete.

Romanesque bird ‘punked mixed media


I’ve come to a standstill on this one.  I don’t think it’s finished but I don’t know what is missing.

The focal point is a small sketch I did of a Romanesque bird; I used coloured pencils on coloured paper followed by Pitt Artist pen.  I also ‘distressed’ it with Distress Inks and water spray.  It is a very, very sketchy drawing, but I feel I need to be a bit more confident in using my own drawings/art in such mixed media art.

I just don’t know what else this needs, though.  I’ve tried out the idea of using wire spirals wrapped with finer wire and beads, and that doesn’t feel it would work, not unless it’s one of the first things I make and use.  Flowers don’t work, neither does foliage…

So, I’ll leave it be for a while and come back to it at a later time…sometimes that’s the best thing to do.

Live gently upon this Earth – Mixed media artwork


I’ve had a bit of a week with appointments and then yesterday was a day where I needed some self-care.  I did, however, begin work on this particular piece, and I’ve gone crazy on making ATC sized backgrounds ready for work on them, particularly using the Dylusions paints which have laid dormant in my stash for a long, long time.

This particular mixed media pieces has a colour scheme that is not typically ‘Angela’.  There’s lots of god in it, and the flowers look more like succulents than flowers, bu tthey do kind of work!

The close-up image shows the ATC that’s become the focal point of the piece, along with the metal charms and keys that have been added.

See Possibility Everywhere – Mixed media


A little different, and I’ve found a way to use those ATC cards I made a couple of weeks ago!

I’m not all that happy with the leaves, especially the ones at the top left.  However, I’ve learned to let a piece of art sit and for me to return to it at a later date and fix what needs fixing if it’s still there when I look at it with fresh eyes.

What I do need to think about doing is to get either canvas boards or some other thicker, stiffer surface to work on as this one bend so much.  I’ve managed to flatten it somewhat.

What it does need is to be mounted on another background as it seems like it is like a big tile that needs something to sit on and to show it off.  Again, I’ll let this idea rattle around the subconscious corners of my brainbox and tackle it at a later date.

What I do like is the iridescent ‘crackle’ texture on the background, a finish I also added to the flowers to tie them into the piece.  I thought the gold circles, rays, spirals and wavy lines had messed utall up, but I actually quite like them now.

Maybe not quite as ‘flowing’ as some of the earlier mixed media pieces I’ve created, but I’ve certainly tried different things out and am learning all the time, as well as exploring new materials or ways of working.