Stay Strong – Mixed Media

StayStrong_1May2017_AngelaPorter

More Foamiran flowers, this time rather more stylised or abstract.  Background is texture paste mixed with distress ink and some pearlescent paint from Liquitex and stenciled over a distress ink background.  Papers coloured with distress inks or distress oxide inks.

Embossed paper and ACEO card are coloured with various acrylic paints from Pebeo and Liquitex.  They’ve been used to create a collaged pattern behind the previously made ACEO/ATC paint.

Liquid pearls have been added in places, and gems in the flower centres.

I die-cut the leaves from Centaura pearl paper and coloured them with Copic markers; the sheen they have is subtle and fits in nicely with the more pastel colours used.

Be Authentic – Mixed Media

BeAuthentic_30April2017_AngelaPorter

I’ve mostly finished this piece of mixed media art.  I think I need to add some pearls or similar, maybe some shadows around the flowers and foliage, but it is, in essence, complete.

I’m quite pleased with it, especially as I kept to a mainly monochrome colour scheme of blues and greens, but pinks and purples had to make a little bit of an appearance just to add some accents.

It’s another big one – A3 in size.  Lots of Foamiran flowers have been used; I used Distress crayons and a baby wipe to add colour to the white foamiran before heating and shaping each layer.  The colours are the same as some used in the background.

My focal point is an ACEO or ATC that I made a few weeks ago at the start of my mixed media explorations.

In places you can pick out the subtle sparkle on the background and foliage – achieved by spraying with a mist of gold perfect pearls.

Many of the coloured papers I used in the collage were created using a Gelli Plate and PaperArtsy fresco paints.

A fair amount of metallic and iridescent paints from Pebeo, Liquitex and Daler-Rowney have been used too.

Never give up and Foamiran flowers

AngelaPorter28April2017_01

Back to playing with mixed media today, and this is the result…

It’s around 8″ x 6″ in size and 300lb Smooth watercolour paper by Daler-Rowney is the substrate.

First, I coloured the paper using Distress Oxide inks, with a light spray of gold mica mixture.

Once that had dried, I added the diamond motif and text to the background using texture paste through stencils.  Once the paste had dried, I used a rich gold System 3 acrylic paint from Daler-Rowney to paint the texture paste.

Yesterday, I had used embossing folders with my Big Shot from Sizzix to emboss coloured card which I then added metallic and iridescent colours to.  The dark red-brown layer of cogs is part of one of these papers. Behind it, there’s a piece of patterned paper.  Both have had their edges roughed up (distressed) and then inked using black Archival Ink from Ranger.

I next chose an ACEO or ATC card from my stash to act as a focal point.  I also firtled through my stash of steampunk diecuts to find some cogs and a clock dial to add to the background.

The diecuts were all made from kraft card and I used Distress inks to add the base colours of a rich blue, an intense blue-green and a red-brown before dry brushing metallic and iridescent acrylic paints from Liquitex over them to give the appearance of old metal.

Finally, I assembled everything together in an arrangement that pleased me.  I used a Payne’s Grey Inktense pencil and a water brush to add shadows, and finally a few sparkly gems (I can’t resist the use of sparkle!).

I thought I’d finished, however, the postman brought me a box that contained some Foamiran sheets I’d ordered a couple of days ago, and I just had to have a go at making some flowers.  You can see one of the flowers on the mixed media piece.

The flowers are quite easy to make.  I die cut flower shapes from the Foamiran.  I then used a couple of Faber-Castell Gelatos and a damp baby wipe to apply colour the the front and back of the flowers.

Next, I used my heat tool to warm the foam so it curled up a little and then shaped the petals before using hot glue to stick the layers together to make fluffy flowers.  Finally, I used an alcohol marker to colour some clear gems in so they complemented the flowers and attached to their centres.

I think I’m going to be making more of the flowers, they are easy to make, if a little fiddly given the current manicure I’m sporting.  Next time my nails are done, I’ll make sure they are kept fairly short!

Fantasy fungus mixed media

IMG_0624

This one is mostly finished. I need to add shadows around the elements and some shiny patterns to the layers I think.  Oh, and the hole in the tag needs something added.

The fungus I drew and coloured myself.  That was enjoyable to do!  In fact, the whole thing has been satisfying.