Mixed media experimentation is a tad addictive!
I spent yesterday creating more inchies and betwinchies, as well as shopping for some supplies. This morning, I created the ACEO/ATC above.
The card itself is made by Strathmore and is some of their 400 Series Watercolour paper with a cold pressed surface. I added layers of Distress Oxides, spraying with water to get the textures. I also added patterns through stencils and stamps, followed by a final spray with gold Perfect Pearls. I edged the card with Ranger’s Archival jet black ink.
It took a little while to rifle through my growing collection of inchies and other art tiles to find one that suit the background. This tile has a faint crazing pattern and an aged/distressed look achieved by the use of Tim Holtz’s Collage medium – crazing followed by some distress ink rubbed on to bring out the crazing. A layer of 3D Crystal Lacquer added a gloss finish to the tile.
Once the tile was stuck in place, I used a Pitt artist pen to draw patterns around it, added the words, more patterns and highlights using a gold gel pen. Finally, I added some small gems using Glossy Accents as a glue.
I do have a couple of things left for me to do with the ACEO/ATC – to add a layer of Micro Glaze to seal the surface so any water/moisture won’t affect it, and to add information to the back of the card.
I am really chuffed with this ACEO, as well as the background created with the Distress Oxides; I’ve achieved something I never, ever thought I could! Before Distress Oxides I struggled to make backgrounds. I don’t really get along with acrylic paints, spray generally are too messy for me, the original Distress Inks would run into one another and the colours become really poopy.
However, the Distress Oxides are a completely different medium, one that really seems to suit me and work for me and with me. They are opening up doors for me to express and explore my creativity in ways I’d given up on with the failures (well, what I consider failures) with the arious paints and other media I’ve used in the past.
All it took was for me to find the right medium for me to use.
Yesterday , I also I made two beautiful backgrounds that I just can’t bear to cut up or cover over, yet. I’m sure I will. The photo doesn’t do them justice. There are many layers of colour, all made using Distress Oxides on some really heavy and smooth waterolour paper (300gsm I think it is). Patterns have been added using water, stencils and stamps. Finally, the backgrounds have been sprayed with copper Perfect Pearls, which shimmer and also really bring out the depth of colours in the layers.